What is the Brain Commons?
Community + Data + Tools
We are entering a new era in brain research, driven by powerful data acquisition technologies generating multi-modal data at all spatial scales, coupled with a dramatic evolution in the cost of computing. To meet the challenges associated with brain health research, a paradigm shift is required that adapts our existing data analysis toolsets and data management processes to integrate massively multi-dimensional data to facilitate holistic modeling of the brain and its organization.
The BRAIN Commons represents a next-generation digital ecosystem that is uniquely able to meet today’s data analysis challenges facing brain researchers.
In order to maintain brain health, we must gain a profoundly deeper understanding of the brain’s trajectory through its lifespan, including the perturbations that represent disorder, disease and dysfunction as well as resiliency. The BRAIN Commons’ innovative integration of Data, Tools and Community will make this possible.
The BRAIN Commons is unique:
- It can exploit the massive multi-dimensional data being generated in a safe and compliant way
- Data across studies are integrate-able and query-able using a universal graph data model of the brain
- It is architected with flexibility so that it can evolve and scale with the data
- It supports compute in the cloud and high-speed computational modeling
- It promotes team science, where researchers can collaborate within and across communities, and share data, analytical tools, and insights!