Last Updated March 2019
This website, located at www.braincommons.org (the “Site”), is provided by Cohen Veterans Bioscience, Inc. (“CVB,” “we,” “our,” or “us”), to the person accessing the Site (“you” or “your”).
1. What information is gathered?
We may collect and retain information from or about you when you register on the Site, seek authentication, send or respond to communications, or participate in another Site feature. Here are the types of personal information we gather:
- Information You Give Us: When registering or seeking authentication, or otherwise communicating with us, we may ask you for your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, credentials or other similar information.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us, including IP addresses and session identifiers. Like many websites, we use “cookies” to enhance your experience and gather information about Users and visits to the Site. Please refer to the “Do we use ‘cookies’?” section below for information about cookies and how we use them.
- Information from Other Sources: For purposes such as authentication, monitoring, completeness or accuracy, we may receive information about you from other sources, including third parties you have authorized to share information with us, and we may add or relate such information to your account.
2. How do we respond to “Do Not Track” signals?
Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret web browser- based “Do Not Track” (“ DNT”) signals other than cookies, we do not currently respond to, or provide Users with a different Site experience based on, undefined “DNT” signals to the Site.
3. How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information in any of the following ways:
- To authenticate or update your information.
- To administer your account or profile.
- To respond to your support requests or otherwise communicate with you.
- To provide or facilitate any services or transactions associated with your account.
- To personalize and optimize your Site experience and to learn about your preferences.
- To prevent or remedy any unauthorized or disruptive activity.
- To administer a survey or other Site feature.
- To operate, maintain, analyze, improve, control, or customize the Site.
4. Do we disclose the information we collect?
- Agents and Contractors: We may contract with other companies and individuals to operate the Site and to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include maintaining and hosting the Site, analyzing data, and providing support. Our agents and contractors have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but they must reasonably safeguard such information and they may not use it or disclose it for other purposes.
- Authentication and Monitoring: We may disclose your personal information to third parties as reasonably necessary to authenticate you and your information, as applicable. To facilitate transparency and collaboration, we may use or facilitate monitoring tools that show us and other Users certain information regarding your conduct on the Site, including Data types or analysis tools accessed or contributed. You will have the ability to adjust certain privacy settings with respect to any such tools. Please click here for more information about such monitoring tools.
Subject to applicable law, we may share aggregated and statistical information with third parties.
5. How is personal information corrected or updated?
You can correct or update your personal information by re-registering, updating your profile, or by contacting us at email@example.com. You can also request that we delete your personal information or remove you from our communications.
6. Do we use “cookies”?
We may contract with third party service providers to assist us in better understanding our Users. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf, except to help us conduct and improve the Site.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies, through your browser settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you might not be able to access or use certain Site services, features or functionality.
7. How secure is personal information?
We follow generally accepted industry security standards to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and properly use your personal information. However, no commercial method of information transfer over the Internet or electronic data storage is known to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of that information during its transmission or its storage in our systems.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when you are finished using the Site.
8. Discussion Forums and Third Party Links
The Site may include User-to-User communication functionality, such as discussion forums. If you choose to use any of these features, any information you disclose could be accessed and further disclosed by other Users.
In an attempt to provide you with increased value, we may include third party links on the Site. These linked sites have separate and independent privacy policies, which we encourage you to review. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of the Site and welcome any feedback about these linked sites (including if a specific link does not work).
9. Questions and Feedback
10. Important Notices to Non-United States Residents
It is important to note that the Site is operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that any personal information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using the Site and/or providing us with your personal information, you consent to this transfer.
11. Children’s Privacy
The Site is not directed to, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from, children under 13 years of age. If a child has provided us with personal information, a parent or guardian of that child may send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Request for Child Information Removal” in the subject line and the name and age of the child in the body of the message. After confirmation, we will make reasonable efforts to delete the child’s information from the database that stores information for the Site.